VP Commercial Underwriting - Strategic Thinker with Growth Mindset
R&A has a full-time opening for a VP of Commercial Underwriting. As part of our standard hiring process, complete our short survey.
VP Commercial Underwriting – Strategic Thinker with Growth Mindset
Are you an analytical, critical thinker with extensive insurance experience? Can you see the big picture and share that vision with the team? Are you strategic with strong communication skills? Looking for a leadership advancement?
Based in Urbandale, Iowa, R&A Risk Professionals is the Managing General Agent for our parent company PMMIC Insurance. PMMIC’s primary line of business is pollution liability coverage for petroleum storage tanks. We operate in nine states throughout the US. We are A rated (excellent) by AM Best. We are looking for an experience commercial underwriter to lead our expanding commercial lines business.
This venture will become a focus of the company as it seeks to diversify its business operations and help advance key strategic objectives. As VP of Commercial Underwriting, you will be responsible for selecting, developing, and managing a unit of technically competent underwriters with commercial lines expertise (small and middle market account sizes). You will serve as a member of the senior management team with influence over the strategic direction of the company, setting annual budgets, and leading the operational aspects of the business. Your role will be to develop and continually optimize application workflow procedures shepherding risks through application, underwriting, issuance, and renewal.
Our team consists of dedicated, caring professionals that consistently deliver exceptional service for our clients and vendors. We average over 20 years of service on our management team. Our family-orientated, small, but growing company environment is perfect for jobseekers who value stability with a team that truly cares.
Our small company is growing, so if the opportunity and challenge of growth scare you, do not apply. We are looking only for high-performance candidates. Please visit our website to find out more about our team. If you are a fit, apply today, we will know if you have what it takes!
VP Commercial Underwriting Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the management and development of the commercial underwriting team. Hire, coach, mentor and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities ensuring achievement of department service standards.
- Design and optimize policy application submission, rating, providing indications, quoting, underwriting, inspection review and recommendations, creation and use of endorsements, and renewal workflows.
- Serve as the lead for configuration of Agency Management Systems consistent with established workflow procedures.
- Develop Quality Assurance and audit process to ensure application, rating and underwriting activities are being implemented in accordance with internal guidelines. This includes the establishment of regular internal underwriting quality audits.
- Review underwriting results to determine improvement plans and new business opportunities to increase the quality of the book of business.
- Maintain company and agency relationships. Develop and manage the relationship between underwriting and markets to achieve revenue goals.
- Establish annual budgets and forecasts for underwriting department. Analyze results and report monthly performance and current year reforecast targets.
- Demonstrate financial acumen, including strong working knowledge of Managing General Agent (MGA) financial concepts and analysis, as well as expense management and workflow optimization.
- Understand key drivers of profitability and operational performance.
- Pose working knowledge of compliance requirements, including E& S markets in general. Understanding and experience with the wholesale and independent agent markets. Knowledge of state taxes and policy fees in compliance with prevailing regulatory requirements.
VP Commercial Underwriting Minimum Qualifications
- 4 years of management experience.
- 4 years working for a Wholesaler or Carrier as an underwriter or a director, evaluating risks and working the application/rating/binding process.
- Active Property and Casualty license and E&S license, or ability to obtain licenses within 6 months.
VP Commercial Underwriting Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Insurance & Risk Management, or related field, preferred. CPCU preferred.
- Experience in building, managing, developing, and implementing workflow processes, including agency management systems.
- Excess Surplus Lines Experience.
VP Commercial Underwriting Benefits
- Health & dental insurance, 401(k) with company match, flexible spending account, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, paid sick leave and life insurance
Thank you for your interest in applying for our VP Commercial Underwriting position. As part of our standard hiring process, complete our short survey.
If you believe you have what it takes, please e-mail your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.